If you’ve hung around any Young Living users for long, you’ve definitely heard of Thieves! We are all crazy about this oil and all of the other Thieves products like toothpaste, mouthwash, household cleaner, dental floss, foaming hand soap, laundry detergent, and more! Thieves is a blend of single essential oils and contains Lemon, Cinnamon, Clove, Eucalyptus Radiata, and Rosemary. It has a warm, pleasantly spicy scent (think Christmas) and can be used topically, aromatically, and internally. It is specifically designed for immune support.
Why do they call it “Thieves”?
The story behind Thieves is one of my very favorites. Legend tells of a 15th century group of four men who were perfumers by trade but had turned to thievery during the bubonic plague (also called the Black Death). They went on a massive crime spree stealing possessions off the bodies who had died from the plague. Despite their intense exposure to the highly contagious plague, none of the thieves became sick. When they were finally caught, the magistrate offered them a reduced sentence in exchange for information on how they avoided getting sick. They shared that their knowledge of herbs led them to concoct a powerful blend of rosemary, cinnamon bark, lemon, eucalyptus, and clove which they used to protect themselves from the plague. The oils in Thieves Essential Oils were based on the legend of the four thieves.
Here are some studies about the oils in this amazing blend:
Antimicrobial effects of Cinnamon oil: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/16710900
Immune modifying and antimicrobial effects of Eucalyptus: http://www.altmedrev.com/publications/15/1/33.pdf
Effects of Cinnamon and other oils on respiratory tract pathogens: http://www.altmedrev.com/publications/15/1/33.pdf
Antibacterial effects of Clove, Cinnamon, Lemon, and Rosemary: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC1693916/
Antimicrobial effects of Clove and Rosemary http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/17562569/
I could list pages of similar studies, but I believe that these make a more than adequate case for why every house needs Thieves and why you will wonder how you ever did without it!
Here are some ways to use Thieves:
- Diffuse in the house when there is a bug going around, when you’ve been exposed to a bug, or when you are run down and may be more prone to get sick. It smells amazing, and with Orange oil it smells like mulled cider!
- Apply a drop neat to a tooth to relieve discomfort.
- Apply neat or diluted to a cold sore.
- Add a drop to warm water and gargle to soothe your throat.
- Make a SUPER soothing Thieves Chai – put a large dollop of honey in a mug and top it off with milk. I prefer almond milk for this recipe, but any milk is fine. Heat until nice and warm then stir in a drop of Thieves. This is so soothing and comforting when you are under the weather!
- Make a paste of Thieves and baking soda for an excellent mildly abrasive cleaner.
- Apply neat to the soles of the feet for immune support.
- Make an Immune Roller with 10 drops each of Thieves, Frankincense, and Lemon. Apply to soles of feet and up and down spine. (For tiny ones, cut the drops in half and swap Lavender for Thieves.)
- Learn more and get more ideas here https://www.youngliving.com/blog/all-about-thieves/ on Young Living’s blog!